GpsGate supports more than 20 languages. It also offers the possibility to create a new language or to modify it to find more suitable words according to your needs.
If you need to translate/localize your reports, read how to localize reports guide.
Install a new language
If you need to localize your app to your own language, or if you have installed a language pack and you need to translate additional elements in the dispatch app follow these steps.
1. Download the language plugin
Go to Site Admin > Plugins > Get More Plugins
You'll see the language packs if you order by the Category column. Click on Install.
Note: All translations except English, Spanish and Swedish are contributed by the GpsGate community. Where localized phrases are missing they are replaced by English.
2. Enabling the Privileges for languages
Enable the following privileges in your application properties:
The privileges related to language are:
- _UseLanguage controls which languages the user can select in Settings. If no languages are enabled, English will be used.
- _EditLanguage controls which languages can be modified. This privilege must be enabled in order for the Localizationmenu item to appear.
- _CreateLanguage gives the right to create a new language.
- _DeleteLanguage gives the right to delete a language or to revert custom translations of an existing language. Only languages enabled under _EditLanguage can be deleted or reverted.
Customizing an existing language
1. Enable _EditLanguage for the language you want to edit in the application.
2. Log in to your application with an Administrator user and go to Admin > Localization
3. Select the language you want to edit, in the example, we will use Spanish
When the window opens, we recommend adding the Key and Module elements to clearly visualize which key you are edit from which module.
Now you can add/change translation keys.
Search: you can search for an specific item to translate. The search could be both in the original or destination language if there's already a key.
Click on to edit an existent translation.
Click on to visualize which elements are not yet translated. The items with this icon , are the existent keys without translation.
It's also possible that nor the key nor the translation exist for a certain elements on the screen (desktop / mobile). In such a case you'll need to add the key yourself. Do so by clicking in
When you click in + New Key, the following window will open
- Key: the original element to translate.
- Translation: the element translated in the destination language.
- Module: for desktop elements select VehicleTracker. For elements in the mobile interface use Mobile. Select GenericComponents if you want to translate devices variables.
- Report definitions report titles and column names can be translated selecting the proper report name.
After adding the key, select if you want to see the changes immediately on the screen.
Creating a new language
If the _CreateLanguage privilege is enabled, the Add New Language button will appear in the language list.
1. Click it to open the Add New Language window.
2. Enter a language name and select a language to base the new language on. The fields Author and Note are optional. Click the Save button to create the new language.
A Localization Editor window with a list of phrases will appear, as when customizing an existing language.
3. Click on Save or Save & Reload when you have finished adding all keys.
When created, a new language will only be enabled for the role of the user who created it and in the application where it was created.
It is possible to share the language with other roles and with other applications as well.
Exporting a language
A language can be exported to a .lang file by clicking the Export button in the Localization Editor. Only the contents of the Custom Translation column are exported.
Deleting or reverting a language
User-created languages can be deleted, provided the _DeleteLanguage privilege is enabled. Click the Delete button in the Localization Editor to delete the language. Please note that there is no undo for this action.
If the language is not a user-created language, then there is a Revert button in place of the Delete button. Clicking Revert will erase all the entries in the Custom Translation column, reverting the language to the default version. Please note that there is no undo for this action.
Note: If you modify an existing language we recommend you to save the language file as a copy with a different name since the default files are overwritten when you upgrade the server.
How to contribute
You are most welcome to contribute with new translations. Good language translations could be rewarded. Please contact support for more information.