Batch import devices/users from a CSV file
Batch Import is a tool that allows creating users in batches, saving time and effort for the administrator of the application.
Importing users in batches will usually require these generic steps:
1. Define a CSV file for each user group (e.g.: one CSV file for importing Operators, another CSV file for each device brand/model of device you want to import).
2. Define the User Type > Devices
3. Import the CSV file using Batch Import.
Enable Batch Import privileges
1. In Site Admin, access the Privileges and Features of your application.
2. Enable _BatchUserImport privilege.
The batch user import is based on User Types; therefore, before importing users, is required to define the user type with the User Type Editor.
1. Open the User Type Editor.
2. Select the user type Device and click on Edit icon.
3. Go to Devices and select the default device for Device 1
4. Save the user type.
Prepare the CSV file
The CSV file for the type Device, needs to have a minimum of 3 fields: username, name and IMEI.
Username: The username of the user that is being imported. This username should be unique in the server.
IMEI: The IMEI corresponding to the device that is being imported. IMEI number should be unique in the server.
1. Access Batch Import Users from the Vehicles panel options.
2. Select which User Type you want to import. In this example, we'll use Device.
3. When the import is completed, you'll see the results on the screen:
- These steps have to be repeated for each group of devices of different brands/models. Keep in mind that you'll have to have separate CSV files for each group.
- Accumulator and Custom Field names are case sensitive.
- A user can only be imported once, therefore, if the same file is imported twice, no extra users will be created. There is no undo for this function.
- In the description field, you can use
\nto add a new line in the description.