Raster maps installation
This guide shows how to use an image file as a map in GpsGate.
To use a bitmap image as a map in GpsGate you need to convert it to the MapData format with GpsTools Studio.
MapData consists of several tiles and one XML-document collected in a folder and is usually the same thing as a Zoom-level when used in GpsGate.
- A Tile is a small picture consisting of a 256*256 .PNG-file
1. Download GpsTools Studio here.
2. Install GpsTools Studio on a Windows-compatible PC.
3. Find and execute GpsTools Studio
4. Once the application is running, you need to click in the white area to load an image. Only BMP, GIF, JPG, TIF, and PNG are supported.
5. Here you have to input some basic data.
6. Follow the Scaling Wizard. To know which options and standards might suit your needs better, we recommend you contact your map supplier and set the values according to your regional settings.
You need to select 3 coordinate-points on the map, the further apart they are the better the accuracy will be. For each point, you must enter the scaling coordinates that comply with the selected points.
7. Once you have determined the 3 points, you will see a message.
Then select Save MapLib as in the File menu, and save this file in your computer (you can retrieve your saved settings later if you load this file).
8. Select the Export Tiles (for GpsGate) in the File menu and save the map to a destination of your choice, preferably the same destination as any other maps you wish to create.
9. The Map Data folder you have created should contain numerous tiles in the png format and an XML file. Put the whole folder into the Maps folder in your GpsGate installation, typically: C:\GpsGateServer\IIS\Maps\
10. Now we need to go to Maps → Custom in Site Admin to load the new map. Here you need to click on New Map.
11. Click on Import/Refresh map data button.
12. Add the map to the right, as in the picture.
Note that each of these folders will be treated as one map in the GpsGate GUI and each one on the list here is usually one Zoom-level in a custom map. Meaning, when you zoom in and out you will be switching between the different map data folders.
13. Finally, click on Save map. After doing so, the map will become available in the Custom list.
12. Now you will need to enable the map into your application(s).
Go to the application Privileges and Features → Maps → _UseMapCustom
13. Click on Save to save your application settings.
14. Read more information how to choose a map in an application.