Tracks 2.0 Beta
Tracks 2.0 beta is now available!
Tracks history & redesign overview
The current implementation of Tracks is one of the oldest features in GpsGate. It is also one of our most frequently used and most important features. Therefore, we decided that it deserved a well overdue redesign. To make it as perfect as possible, we gathered as much feedback from our user base as possible.
The feedback summary results made it clear that two main areas needed extra attention:
- The number of clicks and hassle to populate the Tracks panel.
- The lack of ways to visualize and display the historical data.
How we fixed Tracks
1. # of clicks and hassle to populate the Tracks panel
- Added a searchable multi-select field inside the Tracks 2.0 panel.
- Made better use of vehicle context menu (right-click).
- Added a new date picker to make it faster to change date ranges, and altered the default time range to go from midnight to midnight. We've also added quick selections to the date picker with common date ranges.
2. Visualizing data
We combined the Tracks and Track Points panels, and then divided the panel into three parts:
Trips - It's the perfect tool to get a quick historical overview. It includes summarized trip data, start and stop addresses, duration, idling times, and much more. We took our learnings from trips in the Fleet app and applied it to the browser.
Track points - We were surprised to find out how much the current track points list is actually used. And "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." The functionality is the same, the design is fresh.
Timeline - The biggest news is definitely the timeline where you can scroll through status change for each vehicle. You can also view events here.
More great features:
We weren't just out to fix Tracks - we want you to love using it. We've slipped in some other detail-oriented goodies:
- Historical events (including closed, open, and ongoing events) in both the timeline and on the map.
- The map also clusters standstills (stopped or idling) close to each other.
- If you hover over a standstill, you can see the standstill duration.
- Trips can be cropped according to your selected dates/times.
- You can refresh the track data manually whenever you need using the refresh button.
- We upgraded the new data picker with quick selection options of commonly selected time spans
More features are in the works!
Our ongoing beta includes a subset of the features we have planned. We're working to add stuff like:
- More visual information on the map
- Graphs with historical track data
- ...and much more!
How to test it
Update your beta server for access. You can switch between Tracks and Tracks 2.0 Beta any time you want. Select the desired version on the Tracks panel menu.
Please don't be a stranger and let us know what you think about the new workflow. Send your feedback to email@example.com. We'll route it to our tracks project team!
How can I change the time/date format shown in Tracks 2.0? Tracks 2.0 follows the server/application localization settings.
Which track data is included when I use the refresh button? You only update the track data in your current time span when using the refresh button. If you want to get all data up until the latest track point, set your end time to a later time today.