Tracks 2.0 Beta
Tracks 2.0 beta is now available!
Tracks history & redesign overview
The current implementation of Tracks is one of the oldest features in GpsGate. It is also one of our most frequently used and most important features. Therefore, we decided that it deserved a well overdue redesign. To make it as perfect as possible, we gathered as much feedback from our user base as possible.
The feedback summary results made it clear that two main areas needed extra attention:
- The number of clicks and hassle to populate the Tracks panel.
- The lack of ways to visualize and display the historical data.
How we fixed Tracks
1. # of clicks and hassle to populate the Tracks panel
- Added a searchable multi select field inside the Tracks 2.0 panel.
- Made better use of vehicle context menu (right click).
- Added a new date picker to make it faster to change date ranges, and altered the default time range to go from midnight to midnight.
2. Visualizing data
We combined the Tracks and Track Points panels, and then divided the panel into three parts:
Trips - It's the perfect tool to get a quick historical overview. It includes summarized trip data, start and stop addresses, duration, idling times, and much more. We took our learnings from trips in the Fleet app and applied it to the browser.
Track points - We were surprised to find out how much the current track points list is actually used. And "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." The functionality is the same, the design is fresh.
Timeline - The biggest news is definitely the timeline where you can scroll through status change for each vehicle.
More features are in the works!
The first beta only includes a subset of the features we're currently working on. In the future we'll add stuff like:
- More visual information on the map (e.g. showing direction of the track)
- Trips data will honor exact time frames
- Clustering of standstills
- Graphs with historical track data
- Historical events in both the timeline and on the map
- ...and much more!
How to test it
Update your beta server for access. You can switch between Tracks and Tracks 2.0 Beta any time you want. Select the desired version on the Tracks panel menu.
Please don't be a stranger and let us know what you think about the new workflow. Send your feedback to firstname.lastname@example.org. We'll route it to our tracks project team!