Garmin Device Configuration
*DEPRECATED* GpsGate no longer provides support for the Garmin fleet 590 series. We recommend transitioning to GpsGate's Dispatch app or a newer supported device type. Dispatch is available on both iOS and Android.
Configuration support for Garmin fleet 590 and other Garmin FMI PNDs has been added to GpsGate Server. Garmin devices can now be configured from the server and device functions like “Harsh driving”, “Speeding” and “Estimated time of arrival” can be used in VehicleTracker applications.
- Login to SiteAdmin and go to the Plugins tab
- Select the Get More Plugins tab and install the Garmin plugin
Install note: If you are using Garmin fleet 590, setup the Garmin connection as described here.
Activate Garmin Profiles in your application:
- Go to SiteAdmin / Applications and click on the application in the Application list
- Scroll down to Privileges and Roles and check all the box for Plugins / Garmin / _GarminEditProfiles
- Save your application settings at the bottom of the page
Garmin Profile Setup and Usage
Configure a Garmin Profile in your application following these steps:
- Login to your VehicleTracker application as an Administrator
- Open the Garmin Profiles window from the Admin menu above the map
- Click on Create Copy for one of the default profiles to create one with your own settings. Depending on the Device type different features are supported. Follow the wizard to create your profile.
- Save the Profile when you are done, it is automatically synced with your selected devices when they connect to the server
Details includes a name and description of your profile. Descriptive names simplify when you have multiple profiles
Auto arrival is used by the Dispatch plugin. At arrival to the destination the device prompts the driver to complete the job
Engine state detection detects the ignition state in the vehicle
Power off mode lets you set a PIN code on the device
Safe mode sets a speed threshold for disabling some of the functionality on the device
Speed limits detects speeding using the actual speed limit on the road reported by the Garmin device
Estimated time of arrival is used by the Dispatch plugin to show the arrival time to the next job
Motion detection senses if the device moves
UI text information sets the label for the Dispatch icon on the device
Harsh driving is mainly used for ECO reports. Use low threshold values (like 0.3) to begin with and adjust when you do your testing
Users lists the Users that have a device matching the device type for the profile. Select the Users you want to apply the profile to
Garmin Device Mappers
The Garmin Device Mappers have been updated with new signals that can be used in Event Rules and reports. Have a look at the Device Mapper for your Garmin device to see the signals that are available. Default mapping is shown in the image below: