How to add parameters to your reports
Sometimes in reporting, you need extra parameters for your users or specific filters. An example of this could be to filter report results or add a list of users by tag.
This procedure requires SQL development skills.
Adding parameters: generic steps
The generic steps to add parameters are the following:
- Duplicate the report you want to edit
- Add the parameter
- Modify the query
- Save the report
- Activate your report in your desired application
In this guide we will focus on steps 2 and 3.
Adding the parameter
1. To add a parameter, open your report's copy and click on Query Editor
2. Click on the query to the left.
Note: if you have more than one query, you might have to add your parameter to all the required queries.
3. Click on Add Parameter on the right of the screen.
4. Select your parameter type. Which one you select will depend on the type of parameter you need to use.
5. Click on Add button.
Note: In our example, we will just use a numeric parameter where the user will input a number to filter-out results from the query.
The new parameter is now available.
Using the parameter: call it from the query
Now that we've added the parameter, we want to do something with it in our report's query.
In this example, we will filter out all results that have fuel refills level above 10 liters. This example applies to the FU1005 report.
1. To do so, we will modify our query calling out this parameter.
2. Save the query
3. Click on Back button at the bottom of the query editor.
4. Save the report.
Before the filter
After the filter
With the filter, we will now only observe values that are above 10 liters of fuel in the Refill Volume column.