Archiving: Merge multiple servers
Merging servers may reduce your administrative costs, give you more time to help your customers and a better overview of your business as it grows, keeping everything in one place.
- All plugins are updated.
- All plugins installed on source are installed on target.
- All variables in SiteAdmin->Devices->Variables found on source are found on target.
- There are no conflicting usernames, emails, IMEIs, telephone numbers on the 2 servers.
- Follow the general guide to create an export rule, deselecting Export Tracks
- and an import rule, with below settings
Guide: Merge two servers
This guide gives an example of how you can merge 2 servers.
1.Move without tracks
Move selected applications and their users and reports by pressing Run.Follow the progress in SiteAdmin->Arching->Archiving Reports. This step may take everything from minutes to hours.
2.Correct errors and run again
See Correcting errors below, for more info.
Keep in mind
- that scheduled reports may be sent to clients even if no devices are yet reporting to the server. You can stop the email provider for the imported applications if that's the case.
- to inform SiteAdmin users who got their usernames changed so they can log into the system.
- Maintenance, Dispatch, Chat and Odometer values won't be moved by Archiving. For that you need to follow this guide.
3.Move with tracks
Modify the rules above to Export and Import Tracks, see pictures above. Save them and run the export rule again. This step may take many hours since a lot of tracking data is going to be moved.
Direct your devices to the new server and inform your users about the new address. Do not use Dataforward here.
5.Move remaining tracks
Run the export rule again once you see all devices are reporting to the new server.
That will transmit the tracking data that was generated after 3.Move with tracks was completed.
Do some stick tests to see that historical data is successfully moved to the new server and clean up by handling SiteAdmin users that were changed as well as other modified users.
All servers are different. Despite of thorough preparations you may end up having to correct some remaining user conflicts or other problems.
You will find the non resolved conflicts in NMEA error logs in SiteAdmin->System Tools->logs. These type of user conflict errors can be solved by simply changing the usernames, emails, IMEIs or telephone numbers.
2018-08-16 07:25:44.7831 | Error | 44 | ObjectArchiveImporter.Import | Failed to import an archive file, filename: 6fa1432d-9716-425c-b9ef-8bd85db606ec_0_20180816132544.xml. (A User with the same Username - Tom - already exists in the database.) |
2018-08-16 07:25:44.7970 | Error | 44 | ObjectArchiveImporter.Import | A User with the same Username - Tom - already exists in the database. (Franson.Directory.DAO.UserAlreadyExistsException)
To change usernames the privilege _editUserNames must be enabled for the application.
In case you don't succeed to change the conflicting usernames please send a list of the names to email@example.com.
Don't forget to check SiteAdmin->Applications->SiteAdmin Users on both servers.
Run the rule and correct errors until no more errors show up in SiteAdmin->Arching->Archiving Reports.