This article describes server Hardware and Software requirements for GpsGate On-Site installations.
Read how to install GpsGate.
- Microsoft Windows with x64 architecture (supported versions of Windows only).
- A static IP address assigned to your computer/server.
- Chrome, Firefox, Safari or new Edge as your default browser. IE is not supported.
- ASP.NET Core 3.1 or higher installed in your Windows computer. Read more about this here.
- IIS Express not supported.
- Any non-supported/dated DB system.
- In a production environment, we recommend installing GpsGate in Windows Server editions.
- Large installations (more than 5000 units): we recommend to use AWS Aurora as a database system. It has plenty of features such as real-time backup and easy to scale up when your installation grows.
- Installation on Cluster environments: parts of the product can run in a cluster. This kind of setup can currently be done by request by contacting GpsGate support.
- A full GpsGate installation uses around 1.5 GB of disk usage (database installation and usage not included). We recommend having at least 5 GB of free disk space in your computer/server for a successful installation.
- In production environments, it is always recommended using reliable disks and data protection systems such as RAID1 or similar.
- SSD disks types are recommended to improve performance.
- A typical installation uses around 200 Mb per device and year. Device data usage is subject to different factors such as the protocol used to transmit information, the device brand/model and the frequency that the device uses to report to the server (the control over the amount of data stored in the server can be configured using the Cleanup feature).
CPU and memory
- CPU and memory usage will depend on many factors, such as event rules introduced, devices reporting to the server and their frequency, the number of connected users making requests simultaneously, etc.
- GpsGate server consumes about 150 MB of memory per 100 devices simultaneously online.
- We recommend having at least 4 GB of RAM, but more is always better.
- GpsGate Server makes good use of multi-core CPUs. Dual-core or higher is recommended.
Estimations on server resources
- 30 vehicles with an update once every one minute will give you an average of 0.5 transactions per second.
- Depending on how many event rules you apply to each application, how many reports users execute at specific moments, each transaction will take a different amount of computing resources.
Question: How many Mb of my SIM card data plan will be consumed?
- GpsGate Server uses very little bandwidth. A transaction is often of less than 0.2 Kb.
- A user logged into the web interface average about 2 Kb/sec.
Small system / personal use
- 20 vehicles, update rate 1 minute.
You can use any Windows computer that meets the requirements listed above.
Medium system / small-medium company or organization
- 500 vehicles, update rate 1 minute.
MySQL 8 or later.
300 GB RAID1 disks.
4 GB ram or more.
Large systems / big organizations
- 5000 vehicles, update rate 1 minute on average.
Windows 2012 R2 or later.
MySQL 8 or later.
600 GB RAID1.
2 CPUs Quad Core (total number of cores: 8).
16 GB RAM or more.