In GpsGate Server you have the possibility to create multiple instances of your Device Types for the same device model and brand.
Having different instances of device types could be useful in the following cases:
- When you have the same device brand and model in different vehicles and you need to capture different signals from each vehicle.
- When you want to use different Device Odometer types in different vehicles.
- When you want to use different Trip Definitions in different vehicles.
- When you want to use device mapper scripting and you don’t want this script to interfere with the default Device Type of a certain device.
Site Admin configuration
New Device Type creation
- To create a new instance of a Device Type, you need to login in Site Admin and go to Devices > Types
- Select a Device Type and then an Instance of this device. Click in “New”.
You’ll immediately be able to see the newly created copy of the instance if you drop down the list (if you only had one instance, the new one is the second on the drop-down list. To avoid confusion about which is the original, we recommend that you do not select any of the items. In the dropdown menu, the newly copied instance is already selected after clicking in New).
- Choose a name for the new copy of the instance. Click save before performing any further actions:
- For all the options and buttons, you have an explanation just under them. However, a few more details that can be helpful:
- Track Filter Settings: default/City Drive. The filter establishes how the track points are going to be processed to be displayed on the screen. Learn more about Track Filters here.
- Upgradable: you normally want to allow this option. When there is a device plugin update in the server, this instance will also be updated if there is a new feature.
- Supported Commands: it will display the commands available for this device type and if you want to include them in this instance to be triggered within the Vehicle Tracker application. Find out more about template commands here.
- Device Mapper Template: lets you set the signal mapping defaults for this device type.
How to copy/retrieve a Device Type template to/from an application
If you select the option Device Type Template you will access to the following screen:
In that screen, at the bottom, you have two options to select:
- Copy to Application: this will allow copying the current mapping displayed onscreen to a selected application of your choice. This will overwrite the device mapping in the application.
Notice that you can select only the applications that are currently using this instance of the device mapper. After clicking on Copy, you will receive the confirmation that the device mapper has been overwritten in the application.
- Copy From Application: this will take a current device mapper configuration from a selected application in order to copy it to this template. You can select the application source from which you want to copy the device mapper. You'll use it to replace the current saved template in this screen.
After clicking on Copy you should see the confirmation message:
In the Vehicle Tracker application
If you go to Devices > Device Mapper you should be able to see the new instance of the device type.