Reports Best Practices
Create reports taking into account performance and saving time.
This guide explains how data is processed for reports and gives some tips on how creating them taking into account performance.
Saving a report template.
Every time we enable a new report and then save it on the application, we can select some default parameters like Period, Users or Event Rules in order to speed up the generating process.
This is not just to make it easier for the user when generating the report but mainly to avoid data processing when they generate the report. So it is quite important that we pay attention on this step.
Here are some tips on how selecting this parameters:
- Try not leaving blank fields. If you don´t select any parameters the system will not prepare the data for that report, so the user will have to wait for it to be processed.
- Select the proper Tags and Event Rules. If you select more users or event rules than needed, then when the system processes the data it will be including some information that you don´t need, and it will take longer.
- Time periods that include the current day will take longer since new data will have to be processed
- Hide parameters that the user doesn´t need to change. It will avoid unnecesary “testing” that might end up queuing reports
- Email scheduling larger reports helps improving performance
Whenever we want to generate a report, the data related to that report will need to be processed. When we save a new report template on an application, the data related to that report for the specific parameters we have selected will be processed automaticaly every night, so the report will be generated immediately.
So, for example, if we save an Event Rule report like the one on the picture above, then the data for the users that belong to Fleet A will be processed for the Speeding event rule, and when we generate the report it will take fewer time to be delivered. But the data also will be ready for other reports using the same information like for example Event Rule Total report EV1001.
Must be taken into account that when a report is saved, the data will be processed from the next day onwards. So if we generate a report requesting information previous to the day we have saved the report, then that data will need to be processed.
Summarizing, it is very important to select the right parameters in order to save time and avoid performance issues.
Sometimes scheduling reports at midnight might look like a good idea, but not for GPS tracking. When you schedule reports for 00:00 think that some data is still coming from the previous day. That is why the Batch processing of already saved reports usually starts at 2:00 am. So if you can try to give some time for all the data from the previous day to get to the server.