Using Roles with Privileges and Features
Roles are used to give a user or a group of users different rights. A role has access to a set of features privileges in an application. Multiple roles can be applied to any user in your application.
Adding features to an application
When you create a new application inside Site Admin you have the possibility to decide which features to activate. You find the settings under Privileges and Features inside the application properties.
The features enabled at the Site Admin level, will be available for the Administrator by default. Other roles, might have less and different privileges enabled.
Read more about how to add privileges and features to an application in Site Admin here.
When you log in to the application with Administrator privileges, you have the possibility to enable/disable features for different roles.
To access Roles, click on Admin > Roles in the Vehicle Tracker application you need to have enabled the role _EditApplicationPrivileges role.
Your application has four different roles by default:
|_Administrator||All features and rights are enabled by default.|
|_Operator||No access to Administrator type features like adding users, managing event rules, and creating views.|
|_Unit||Can send information to the server, but lacks the right to log in to the Vehicle Tracker interface.|
To be used for drivers only. Read more about driver options here.
To create custom roles, we strongly recommend making copies of the standard roles before making any modification.
1. Click on Create copy
2. Define a name to this new role, then click Next.
3. Select the options presented according to your needs and the privileges you want to enable for this role.
- Auto allow new items is useful when you install new plugins and add them later on in your application. When this option is activated, the users belonging to this role will have the selected features enabled without manual intervention.
- Applies to If Only items created by this role is selected, sets the privileges automatically if they were enabled by this role, otherwise all new items will be enabled by default for this role.
4. Finally, select which user(s) will belong to this new role
Note: remember to remove the selected user(s) from their previous roles to avoid overlapping.