Optimizing your fleet's tasks
Note: route optimization service is included in the new GpsGate pricing model (pay-as-you-go) in both modalities (hosted and on-premise). The following procedure will be valid if you're still using the old legacy licensing system in your own server (on-premise).
- Setup Dispatch plugin.
- Request a GpsGate Services API key from support. Please, supply the hostname or IP address of the server(s) that will use the API key.
- Under the Settings > Services Account, make sure that you have entered your API key given by support.
1. Create a Dispatch Route.
2. You will need at least 3 Jobs/tasks to enable the option Optimise Job Order.
3. Save your Dispatch Route.
The Jobs can be optimized according to the following options:
Return to start: the route will be optimized taking into account that the worker needs to return to the starting point.
Stay at last job: the route will be optimized taking into account that the worker will stay at the last job location.
- The automatic optimisation of Routes requires solving a notorious and complex problem in computer science called "The Travelling Salesman Problem".
- Truly solving the problem and obtaining the guaranteed best route for a set of points on a map is an extremely time and resource consuming problem. It is even more complex on road networks where the distance between two points might be different depending on which direction you drive between them due to one way road systems.
- For this reason, the automatic optimisation feature uses an approach which performs an estimate and gets a result that is not necessarily the very best solution but should be a good one and should help give your fleet significant fuel savings over time when used for a workers daily set of jobs.
- If your route is optimised by the server it will let you know how much time you saved when it is finished.