Exercise #3 - Optimized routes and smart reporting
Learn how Dispatch provides real-time dispatch stats and optimized routes for field workers. This means reduced costs and increased productivity for businesses.
First, you’ll build a more complex route than in Exercise 2 (this time with 3 or more jobs). Then you’ll optimize it - mobile workers will spend less time traveling and less time idling, which means reduced fuel costs and increased efficiency.
Create a Route
Log in to the same application you used for Exercise 1 as an admin user. Go to the Dispatch Panel.
You may create a route using the + Route button as we did in the last exercise, or you may create a route directly on the map (as we’ll do in this exercise).
To create a new route:
1. Right-click on the starting location of the route on the map. Select Start new Route (here).
2. Name your route and fill in the Worker as Exercise1Worker (the worker you created in Exercise 1 and have logged into your Dispatch mobile app). Leave the route state as Planned, which will allow you to add more jobs by right-clicking on the map.
3. Create at least two more jobs by right-clicking on the map and selecting Add Step to Current Route. Do not use job locations in a straight line - vary the locations as you might see in a real route. This will allow us to optimize the route after it is created.
After you have added the jobs to your route, the map will show the current route (based on the order in which the jobs were added on the map). This may not be the most efficient route.
Optimize a Route
1. Click Optimize on the Jobs panel in the Add Route window. Based on the location of the jobs, you will see the job order change. Job 1 (aka your starting location) will remain first, and the other jobs will be arranged in the most efficient driving route.
2. Save the route by clicking Save in the Add Route window. You should now be able to see the route under Exercise1Worker in the Dispatch panel. The jobs will be inside of blue route buttons.
3. Right-click on the route and select Dispatch All to dispatch the route to Exercise1Worker.
You should receive notifications in your Dispatch mobile app for Exercise1Worker. Do not complete the jobs in your mobile app at this point in the exercise.
Setting up the reports in your Vehicle Tracker for Dispatch:
Congrats! You just learned how to optimize routes and report on Dispatch activity, which are both critical for reducing costs.