Exercise #2 - Complete a day of work in Dispatch
It’s time to see Dispatch 5 in action! Exercise 2 simulates a workday to show real-time updating, workflow, and efficiency in both the mobile app & dispatch panel for mobile workers and operators/dispatchers.
Note: This Exercise builds on Exercise 1, so we recommend using the same Vehicle Tracker application and completing the exercises in order. If you haven’t completed Exercise 1, click here to learn how to set up the Dispatch mobile app.
Creating Your Mobile Workforce
Today, we will use your worker from Exercise 1 (referred to as Exercise1Worker in this Exercise) and a second worker that we create.
Add a Worker
To add a second worker, follow the steps below.
- Login to the same Vehicle Tracker application as you used for Exercise 1 as an admin user.
- Go to the Vehicles Panel and click + New User.
- Select the user type Dispatch unit and fill in the worker info, using Worker2 as the username and name.
- Click Save.
Tip: It is recommended to create these workers with user type Dispatch Unit OR make sure that the worker has the _Dispatch Worker role (Admin > Roles).
Open the Dispatch Mobile App
We will be using the Dispatch mobile app, so check that you are still logged in to the Mobile App with Exercise1Worker from Exercise 1. When you open the app on your phone, you should open directly to the Jobs screen without logging in. If you see the job you dispatched to this worker in Exercise 1 on the Jobs list, that is OK. If you are not logged in, refer to Exercise 1 to setup the app.
Jobs & Routes - Building the Day’s Workload
You will create a job and a route in the Dispatch panel of your Vehicle Tracker application, and assign each to one of your Workers.
- Job – single task assigned to one worker.
- Route – group of tasks (jobs) to be completed in a specific order by one worker.
Create a Job
- In the Vehicle Tracker application > Dispatch panel, create a new job by clicking the + Job button.
- Fill in the required fields of Name, Location, and Worker. Use Exercise1Worker as the worker. Other fields are optional.
- Dispatch the job immediately to Exercise1Worker by selecting Assigned as the job state and clicking save. After saving, you should see a new job notification on your phone. If you don’t see a notification, check that you have the app launched, and that you have enabled notifications from the app in your phone settings.
Create a Route
- Create a new route by clicking the + Route button (Vehicle Tracker application > Dispatch panel).
- Name your route and fill in the Worker as Worker2.
- In the Jobs section of Add Route, click Create Job. Fill in the fields and save the job.
- Create a second job in the route by clicking Create Job again and filling in the necessary information. Save the job.
- Save the route by clicking Save in the Add Route window. You should now be able to see the route under Worker2. The jobs will be inside of blue Route buttons.
- Right click on the route and select Dispatch All to dispatch the route to Worker2.
The route is now dispatched to Worker2 and you will see the jobs are yellow to show that they have been dispatched. You will also see the route track on your map.
Completing Jobs and Routes
It’s time for Exercise1Worker to complete the job assigned to him/her. If you have another job from Exercise 1, we will complete that job as well.
- Open the Dispatch mobile app home screen and go to the Jobs tab.
- You will see all jobs assigned to Exercise1Worker on the All jobs tab. You will see only uncompleted jobs on the Pending jobs tab. Click on a job.
- Click Start – Exercise1Worker has now started the job.
- Click on Finish. Confirm that you want to finish the job by clicking OK. The job is now completed. The job has a green line next to it on the All jobs page and will no longer show on the Pending jobs tab.
- Do you have any other jobs? Repeat steps 2 – 4 to complete the job(s).
Check the Vehicle Tracker application. You should now see the completed Jobs under Exercise1Worker show in green to indicate that they are completed.
To complete a route, all of the jobs in the route must be finished. In the real world, Worker2 would have his/her own phone with the Dispatch mobile app installed. Worker 2 would start and finish jobs within the app just like Exercise1Worker.
If you have a second test phone, you may download the Dispatch mobile app on it and sign in as Worker2, and then start & finish all of the jobs in the assigned route as in the step above.
If you do NOT have a second phone, you can mark the jobs in Worker2’s route as complete within the Vehicle Tracker application for the purpose of this exercise (see below).
To edit/update jobs in the Vehicle Tracker application > Dispatch panel:
- Right click on the route under Worker2. Select Edit Route.
- On the Jobs section, click the grey wrench icon on the far right of the Job row.
- Select Job state as Completed and click Save.
- Use the grey wrench icon to edit the second job in the route, mark it as Completed, and save it.
- Save the changes in the Edit Route window.
After the jobs in Worker2’s route have been completed (in the Dispatch mobile app or in the Vehicle Tracker), they will be green to display their ‘Completed’ status.