Tips to trouble shoot device to server connection
This guide gives you some tips to for troubleshooting if you cannot get your tracker to connect to your GpsGate Server installation.
Verify that your server can be reached from the Internet
1. Login to SiteAdmin.
2. Go to the Plugins tab and check that your plugins are up-to-date. Update the plugins that are old.
3. Go to the Devices tab. The Public IP Address shown is the IP address you should configure in your tracking device. The port number is shown in the listener list below.
4. Click on the Test button for your device listener to make a connection test from the Internet. If the test completes in green, means that the configuration is correct.
Open Server Firewall feature
If the SERVER test results in red, make sure you've enabled it by displacing it to the left to enable it, before testing again.
- If the test fails in the Firewall side, you might have to perform the correspondent port-forwarding settings in your firewall or router and try again.
- You also need to open port 80 for your web server.
Check for unknown connections
Check if any unknown (not registered) device is connecting to your server. More info.
Verify that your SIM card works
- Verify your APN settings. Check the APN, APN Username and APN Password with your Telecom Operator.
- Make sure GPRS is enabled on your SIM card (surprisingly often it is not). The best way to verify this is to test your SIM card in a mobile phone. Use the web browser to verify that GPRS is enabled. You can also test a TCP/IP service, or ask your operator, as some SIM cards only permit HTTP traffic and not TCP/IP.
- If you have a prepaid card, make sure you have enough credit on it.
- Disable the PIN code on the SIM card (or make sure the tracker can handle the PIN code). Put the SIM card in a mobile phone and go to the security settings to disable the PIN code.
Note: More things to consider with SIM cards and GPRS billing.
Diagnose your connectivity using the Terminal
The Terminal feature is very useful for troubleshooting connections between server and tracker. More info
Follow the Device Installation guidelines
Verify you follow GpsGate device installation guidelines to check you're not missing any important step.